If you’re planning to quilt regularly, you must purchase the best sewing machine for free motion quilting. It will manage you all the required privileges to carry on quilting with much enthusiasm. You will find a good collection of sewing machines out there, but all these are not perfect for quilting. Hence, you must have sufficient experience in picking the ideal one.
If you’ve less knowledge about it, don’t be disappointed. Everything will be approachable to you after looking over this article. We’re going to talk about some classical machines to make your sewing journey beneficial. Let’s look forward!
Table Of Content:
We’ve put together all the products in the following table. You can look at the table to find a particular one in less time.
- 10 Best Sewing Machines For Free Motion Quilting Reviews 2021
- 1. Janome Memory Craft Horizon 8200 QCP Special Edition Computerized Sewing Machine
- 2. Janome MC6650 Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 3. Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 4. Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 5. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
- 6. Heureux Sewing Machine Computerized and Quilting Z6
- 7. Brother HC1850 Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 8. Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine
- 9. Brother CS7000X Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
- 10. SINGER | Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine
- SINGER | Stylist 7258 Features
- What Is The Difference Between A Quilting Sewing Machine And A Regular Sewing Machine?
- Why Should You Buy A Sewing Machine For Free Motion Quilting?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict
If you want to comprehend the comparison of the chosen products, you can scan the following chart.
|Janome Memory Craft Horizon 8200 QCP||
|Janome MC6650 Sewing and Quilting Machine||
|Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing||
|Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine||
|Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing||
|Heureux Sewing Machine Computerized||
|Brother HC1850 Sewing||
|Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine||
|Brother CS7000X Computerized Sewing||
|SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine||
10 Best Sewing Machines For Free Motion Quilting Reviews 2021
It’s time to discuss all the best sewing machines for free-motion quilting. You must stick here to approach the right sewing machine.
1. Janome Memory Craft Horizon 8200 QCP Special Edition Computerized Sewing Machine
This efficient and quality sewing machine is inevitable for you if you love sewing full time. The built-in feeding system will allow superior feeding in both the top and bottom layers of fabric. You could sew up to 9mm in width through this advanced machine. The built-in needle threader will let you put it down and place it in the hook at ease. With the attachment of numerous stitches, sturdy sewing feet, and two fonts, it seems perfect for professional use.
The inclusion of the control panel and LCD panel makes it genuinely beneficial. To manage a single round straight stitch hole, it comes with a straight stitch plate. The black roller accessory trolley case, black semi-hard machine cover, and storage pocket put it high in demand for all sensible users. As it features an easy-to-use bobbin system, you will find extraordinary comfort in dealing with it.
Moreover, the accurate tension thread control system and specialized buttonhole styles will make your sewing session enjoyable. It has been the top pick around the world due to the addition of a large spool holder, quilter bar, spool stand, seam ripper, and many more accessories. You can choose this good sewing machine for quilting on the first attempt to make your quilting projects successful.
Janome Memory Features
- This machine is perfect for delicate fabric and large quilts as it allows feeding in both layers.
- It provides up to 9mm stitch width and includes excellent sewing feet for the best support.
- The straight stitch plate confirms the ultimate stitching precision, and the control panel makes it easy to navigate.
- With the addition of an incredible amount of accessories and various buttonhole styles, it has been ideal for all.
- You will find the best comfort through its built-in needle threading system.
2. Janome MC6650 Sewing and Quilting Machine
As you’re passionate about sewing, you can pick this standard one to enhance your working efficiency. It comes with 10 inches seamless flatbed to provide you with an excellent workspace to handle large projects. The favorite stitch setting system will allow you to set the preferred option when you turn the machine on. Besides, you will have fingerprint control on stitching by dint of its start/stop button.
As it includes up to 170 stitches, you can keep on the quilting projects with no restriction. The one-push needle plate conversion system will make your sewing session comfortable. Up to 9mm stitch width and 1000 spm sewing speed will help you have a reliable working circumstance. Besides, you will get an incredible outcome through its automatic needle threading system.
It incorporates six LED lights in three different locations to brighten your working area. You can easily manipulate the bobbin system and toggle the memorized needle between up and down. Most notably, you can sew tough materials through it and carry it at ease. The removable knee lifter will make your sewing session thoroughly comfortable.
Janome MC6650 Features
- This sewing machine is perfect for executing both large and small projects with much precision.
- The favorite stitch setting option and start/stop button system manages optimal comfort in sewing.
- It includes two needle plates with a one-push conversion system and 170 stitches.
- With the arrangement of six LED lights and needle threaders, it has been advantageous to all.
- You will find around 1000 spm sewing speed and ease in carrying through it.
3. Juki HZL-F600 Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
All the professional users love to use it to find a smooth and precise quilting experience. As it comes with 255 patterns, four fonts, and a good number of stitches, it seems more efficient than other traditional machines. You find easy pattern selection scope, edge sewing presser foot, open toe presser foot, and patchwork presser foot through it. It will also allow you to have automatic and one-finger needle threading from the seated position.
With the combination of various buttonholes styles and automatic thread trimming scope, it seems highly preferable to all. The addition of a walking foot for multiple sewing layers will enhance your working expertise significantly. It will also offer you a precise feeding system and an instant needle-stopping facility during the working session. Up to 900spm speed and an exclusive bobbin winder will stimulate you to focus on sewing all day long.
Meanwhile, it includes two LED lights to enlighten your working area. To improve your quilting expertise, it features a durable quilting foot and quilt guide. It won’t make noise during the sewing and take little time to set up. Most surprisingly, you will have a larger working space than the average range through this exclusive one.
Juki HZL-F600 Features
- This classic product comes with a large variety of stitches and patterns to make your sewing session productive.
- It offers automatic thread trimming and needle threading scope from the seated position.
- The precise feeding system, walking foot, and exclusive bobbin winder makes it favorable to all.
- With the arrangement of immediate needle-stopping scope and LED lights, it seems the most demanding in the market.
- You will find maximum speed, quilting foot, and the ultimate guide for quilting projects through it.
4. Brother PQ1500SL Sewing and Quilting Machine
It will assure you of free motion quilting as it manages up to 1500 stitches per minute. You can execute sewing in less time and toil through its advanced needle threading system. The attached needle threader is jam-resistant, fast, and convenient. With the removable knee lifter, you could lift your presser foot with the knee to make your hands free.
As it comes with a broader table, you can execute both the small and large quilting projects with no hassle. The seven sewing feet and 7mm stitch width will expand your working capacity remarkably. Moreover, you will find a superior precision pin feeding system through this excellent machine. The push-button thread trimmer will give you extra support during the sewing period.
You could control maximum fabric through its four additional feed dog settings. The addition of an automatic thread cutter and the LED light will encourage you to stick to your jobs for a long time. Besides, you will get excellent efficiency through its full-range foot pressure adjustment system. The durable design and quiet operation will bring an extraordinary outcome to you. You can read also Best Sewing Machine for Cosplay if you buy its helpful for you.
Brother PQ1500SL Features
- This machine has 1500 stitches per minute sewing speed to deliver you spontaneous quilting advantage.
- It includes the needle threading scope and a knee lifter to aid you during the sewing session.
- An expansive table, seven sewing feet, additional feed dog settings, and LED light will improve your working efficiency.
- With the precision pin feeding system, you can sew a wide variety of fabric thicknesses at ease.
- You will find full-range pressure adjustment and easy operating scope through this fantastic machine.
5. SINGER | Quantum Stylist 9960 Computerized Portable Sewing Machine
If you’re a serious quilter, you can choose this computerized machine on the first attempt. It will offer you stretch, basic, and decorative stitches to fulfill your creative dreams. The automatic needle threading system makes it easy to use, whereas the knee lifter put it high in demand. With the arrangement of 13 built-in buttonhole styles, it has been the best home sewing machine for free-motion quilting.
The stitch elongation and mirror imaging scope make it different from the typical machines. Up to 600 built-in stitches and 850 sewing speeds make it favorable to all. Moreover, it has been the first pick for professional use due to its five alphanumeric fonts and quiet operation. The inclusion of straight stitching foot, open toe foot, overcasting foot, button sewing foot, and so on puts it high in demand.
Furthermore, it always draws the attention of users through its one-touch stitch selection button. The electronic twin needle setting and the bobbin system increase the efficiency of this machine remarkably. It has been reliable due to its extensive table and heavy-duty metal frame as well.
SINGER Quantum Stylist 9960 Features
- This product comes with an advanced design, heavy-duty frame, and wide table to give you optimal scope.
- The built-in needle threader and 13 buttonholes will make your quilting session productive.
- It features five stunning fonts, 600 built-in stitches, and numerous presser feet to assist you.
- Up to 850 sewing speed and a precision pin feeding system will accelerate working integrity.
- You will find mirror imaging, stitch elongation, and a cover through this fantastic product.
6. Heureux Sewing Machine Computerized and Quilting Z6
This is another high-profile machine with 200 sewing stitches and 100 alphanumeric fonts. It incorporates a total of eight styles of auto-size buttonholes to make your sewing campaign profitable. The inclusion of a drop-in top bobbin and automatic needle threader makes it the best sewing machine for free-motion quilting. With the attachment of LCD and LED light, it has been the first choice for all.
It will deliver you extra-high sewing speed and an automatic clutch for bobbin winding. Moreover, the easy thread cutter, drop feed system, and various presser feet will aid you to keep on sewing for long hours. As it comes with a heavy-duty metal frame and powerful motor, you will get outstanding performance for a long time through it.
It has been perfect for quilting and dealing with heavyweight fabrics due to its advanced mechanism. The inclusion of seam ripper, extra spool pin, screwdriver, and other accessories put it high in demand. Most notably, twin needle function and quiet operation will make your quilling session memorable.
Heureux Sewing Machine Features
- This equipment is designed with an aluminum alloy metal frame to last long.
- The inclusion of a powerful motor, automatic buttonhole, and backlight LCD make it handy to all.
- It features 200 sewing stitches, a quick-set bobbin, and a portable handle to support you most.
- With the automatic needle threading system and easy thread cutter, you will find the best comfort in use.
- You will have various presser feet, a drop feed system, and superior sewing speed through it.
7. Brother HC1850 Sewing and Quilting Machine
It has been the most standard sewing machine for quilting and clothing with some advanced functions. You can accomplish both small and large projects with no issue as it comes with a broader table. The adjustable sewing speed and automatic needle threading system will make your quilting projects successful. With the addition of 55 built-in monogramming fonts, it has been the top pick for all professional users.
Besides, the eight buttonholes, push-button selector, and backlight LCD put it high in demand. You will find a super bright working area as it manages some LED lights. With the quick-set bobbin, you can quickly pull the thread through the slot to initiate sewing. A total of 130 sewing stitches make it approachable to all.
Meanwhile, it assembles various foot pressers, including quilting foot, zipper foot, overcasting foot, blind stitch foot, and so on to support you. The foot controller pedal, extra spool pin, and stitches flip-chart will be handy to you. Most notably, it will reduce your toil and save your time to make a quilt. Hence, you should go for it without any further hesitation.
Brother HC1850 Features
- This machine features 130 stitches, 55 fonts, and eight buttonholes styles.
- The needle threader and quick-set bobbins will aid you most in sewing.
- It comes with a wider table, several presser feet, and a large LCD to bring the optimal outcome to you.
- With the simple pressing of a button, you can select stitches as per your desire.
- You will find noise-free operation and long-lasting assurance through this quality product.
8. Juki TL-2010Q Portable Sewing Machine
The Juki TL-2010Q is an impressive portable sewing machine yet very sturdy. This sewing machine by Juki provides good performance and high-quality stitches for sewing and quilting. For decent free motion quilting, this portable sewing machine will be able to offer you satisfactory results.
This Juki sewing machine is a single needle, lock stitch, lightweight sewing machine and provides industrial-quality sewing. The Automatic thread trimmer will cut the threads from the bobbin and the needle in an even position automatically. Also, the automatic needle threader will help you to start your sewing quickly without wasting your time.
You will definitely love the large work area of this machine. It comes with a 23-inch workspace including the auxiliary table.
With the knee level lifter, you can easily up/down the sewing presser feet without touching it by hand. So you will be able to skip the interruptions while sewing or performing free motion quilting.
Meanwhile, the rapid sewing speed of 1500 stitches per minute, which is a preeminent feature, will level up your free motion quilting work. Also, you will be able to finish your project much faster before hitting the deadline.
If you want to get good quality quilting, the up/down movement of the needle plays an important role. Controlling over needle movement should be precise to maintain a good result. With the Juki advanced sewing mechanism, you will be able to stop the needle in a fixed position more precisely.
Inclusion of the thread sub tension system, control slider for variable speed, enlightened by powerful LED light will allow you to achieve advanced controlling and precision on your sewing. As these advanced Juki sewing mechanisms will serve you the best sewing experience.
Juki TL-2010Q Features
- Fast sewing speed (1500 SPM) will make your free-motion sewing quality much better.
- Aluminum die-casting of Arm and bed will give you a premium feel while using the machine.
- Because of the automatic thread trimmer cutting the thread from the bobbin and needle in an even position is easier.
- For quilting, stopping the needle in a fixed position is important. Due to the Juki advanced mechanism, the needle can be stopped in a maximum predetermined position.
- With the Sub-tension system, thread tension gets adjusted automatically
9. Brother CS7000X Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine
If you are looking for a sewing machine for free-motion quilting and you have a limited budget the Brother CS 7000X is an excellent machine you can pick. On a low budget, this sewing machine by Brother offers many great features.
70 inbuilt stitches including Utility, heirloom, and Decorative quilting stitch functions are featured in the Brother CS7000X Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine. The 7 one-step auto-size buttonholes are also a great feature in this budget segment. So during the sewing session from many options, you will be able to choose the sewing pattern you like for your project.
The LCD display will help you to keep track for better control and a quick selection of stitches. This machine comes with an improved automatic needle threader which will automatically put your thread into the needle. And this automatic needle threader will save a good quantity of time of yours daily. The automatic needle threader will help you to get rid of extra hassle and this will also prevent eye strain.
You are going to like the jam-resistant top in drop Bobbin which makes loading the bobbin fast and easy. This convenient feature helps to keep the bobbin in place. Also reloading your bobbin will be faster than as usual.
Including all regular equipment, the Brother CS7000X comes with extra 10 sewing presser feet which place this sewing machine into the list of value for money and the best sewing machine for free-motion quilting. A wide table is also offered with this machine. So your sewing session will be more comfortable and sewing larger projects will be easier.
The inclusion of a free arm facility will make it easier to sew cuffs, sleeves for you.
Besides, the drop feed technology makes the Brother CS7000X Computerized Sewing and Quilting Machine one of the budget-friendly and Best Sewing machines for Free Motion Quilting.
Brother CS7000X Features
- 70 built-in stitches allow you to choose the perfect pattern and help to make your sewing projects more stunning.
- Improved automatic needle threader will help you to get you into your work fast and also it will prevent eye strain.
- The metal frame and the great build quality ensure the durability of this sewing machine.
- Including all primary equipment and the extra 10 presser feet will level up your sewing precision and control.
- The needle stays in a fixed position so you will have a cleaner stitch and this also helps to make even lines.
- It has a Large Needle-to-Arm workspace which is an excellent feature and makes your sewing enjoyable while doing free motion quilting.
- The inclusion of a wide table provides you more space and makes handling smaller to larger projects more easily.
10. SINGER | Stylist 7258 Sewing Machine
From beginner to professional many people use and love SINGER sewing machines because of their good history of making excellent sewing machines.
According to this, the SINGER stylist 7258 sewing machine can be a good choice for you if you are thinking about doing some good quality free motion quilting.
It offers 100 unique stitch capabilities so you can get more creative with these patterns. You can do the needle threading with no hassle by using the automatic needle threader. The automated needle threader will give you ease from an extra impact on your eyes.
The top drop-in bobbin is easy to notice so before you run out of thread while in the middle of work you can take precautions easily. You can program the needle up/down position and it is very important for quilting. Being able to program the needle up-down position will definitely keep you many steps ahead to be creative with your free motion quilting.
The SINGER Stylist 7258 Sewing machine has a fast sewing speed of 750 stitches per minute. You can control the sewing speed easily with the sewing speed controller. Also, you can choose the fastest sewing speed if you need it.
As well, the built-in LCD display is a great help to view the stitch patterns you selected. Also, with a single touch, you can change the stitch patterns so it will keep focused on your quilting work rather than wasting your valuable time on controlling the machine.
Besides all general accessories, the inclusion of many sewing feet like Buttonhole Foot, Satin Stitch Foot, General Purpose Foot, Zipper Foot, Overcast Foot, Blind Hem Foot increases the precision of quilting and also makes one of the best sewing machines for free motion quilting.
SINGER | Stylist 7258 Features
- This machine can cover up to 750 stitches per minute. The speed is fine and sufficient to provide faster results and maintain professionalism.
- Programmable needle up/down position is an excellent feature for quilting. This will level up your quilting work of.
- The maximum stitch width is 6 mm and the machine can easily sew through multiple layers.
- This is a computerized sewing machine. So it comes with versatile controlling options.
- You’ll find a variety of stitch patterns: Up to 100 unique stitches.
- This machine will be durable because it is built with a metal frame.
What Is The Difference Between A Quilting Sewing Machine And A Regular Sewing Machine?
A quilting machine is also a kind of sewing machine. But it comes with some extra features and advantages. The most obvious difference is the workspace. A quilting machine generally deals with larger projects. Hence it comes with more space than a typical one to accomplish the tasks exquisitely.
Besides, it features a broader table and walking foot system to carry on its job. But a regular machine can keep doing without these features. On the other hand, a quilting machine has decorative stitches to make the projects fascinating. Maximum sewing speed and stability are needed for a machine than a regular one to execute quilting projects.
Why Should You Buy A Sewing Machine For Free Motion Quilting?
A sewing machine is capable of making cold-resistant, warming, and fashioned quilts. It comes with some advanced functionalities to perform such a difficult job. Here are some common reasons why you should purchase the best sewing machine for free-motion quilting.
- A sewing machine will help you make a quilt with less toil and time through its powerful motor.
- It manages ample space to aid you in accomplishing larger quilting projects.
- You get maximum sewing speed and various presser feet through such a machine.
- With the arrangement of a pin feeding system and an accurate needle threading system, it will go through rigid materials.
- The inclusion of an LCD display, LED light, one-touch stitch selection system makes it perfect for quilting.
- It offers a maximum number of stitches, buttonhole styles, and fonts to make your work appreciating.
Frequently Asked Questions
In this phase, we’re going to reveal some additional information about a quilting machine. You can gather crucial queries from this frequently asked questions section.
What needle do you use for free motion quilting?
Various sharp needles are suitable for free motion quilting. The topstitch is one of those; you can pick it.
What stitch do you use for free-motion quilting?
Among all, the zigzag stitch seems much efficient for free motion quilting. You can try it on the first attempt.
Can any sewing machine do free motion quilting?
Yes, it’s possible to do quilting with any sewing machine. Except for the workspace, everything will be in favor of quilting.
Can a traditional sewing machine be used for free motion quilting?
Free motion quilting is just a kind of straight stitching. You can perform it with a traditional sewing machine.
As you’re switching to quilting, you must manage an efficient machine to perform your job precisely. You have already noticed some top-rated machines here; you can pick one of those right now. In our opinion, you should go for the Heureux Sewing Machine as it’s the best sewing machine for free-motion quilting.
You will find maximum stitches, higher sewing speed, and ample workspace through it. Besides, the built-in needle threading system and numerous buttonhole styles will make your sewing campaign profitable. The SINGER Computerized Portable Sewing Machine can also be on your choice list since it comes with a powerful motor and heavy-duty steel frame.